Posted April 12, 2017
CALLING ARTISTS AND GRAPHIC DESIGNERS OF All AGES!
The Friends of the Poestenkill Library are seeking entries for our Logo Design Contest.
Entries must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Design must reflect the mission of the Friends of the Poestenkill Library: an association of members who increase community interest in and raise funds for the support of the Poestenkill Library
2. Maximum entry size of 11” by 17”
3. Easily recognizable in a reduced size of approximately 2” by 1.5” for use on social media sites and as a return address logo on envelopes
4. May be in color or black and white, but do need to be recognizable in black and white format
5. No limit to the number of entries per designer, but make sure every entry has the designer’s name, address, and phone number written in pencil on the back
6. Distinct from the Poestenkill Library logo
7. Entrants give the Friends of the Poestenkill Library the right to make necessary modifications for use.
8. Deliver entries to the Poestenkill Library during normal hours of operation by the deadline of 5/13/17 at 12pm.
The winner will be announced in the Advertiser, displayed at the Poestenkill Library, and used in future communications by the Friends of the Poestenkill Library.
Questions? Contact Tracy at 283-6813
Posted April 12, 2017
The Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees is pleased to offer a $500 scholarship to a graduating high school senior who is a resident of Poestenkill and plans to enter a two- or four- year college program this fall. This is the sixth year this award has been offered.
The Leo B. Clement Memorial Scholarship is funded by a generous gift from Alma Clement in memory of her late husband. Mrs. Clement established this fund specifically for scholarship purposes to a high school senior who loves reading.
1. Be a Poestenkill resident;
2. Be a High School Senior (or equivalent) from a public, private, or home school who will be attending a two- or four- year college for the 2016-17 school year;
3. Write an essay of 500-750 words on the general subject of “The Love of Reading.”
Scholarship award will be chosen by a committee comprised of Mrs. Alma Clement, two Clement family members, the Director of Poestenkill Library, a Library Trustee, and a community member to be chosen by the Board of Trustees. The initial reading of essays will be completed without knowledge of the applicant’s name.
Announcement of Winning Essay:
The essay winner will contacted by June 15, 2017. The scholarship award will be announced on the Poestenkill Library website www.poestenkilllibrary.org and in The Advertiser. The scholarship check for $500 will be awarded at the Poestenkill Library.
1. Essay must be between 500-750 words. Computer-generated is preferred. No specific font or spacing is required. Applicant’s name should not be on essay page.
2. A cover page must also be submitted which includes the following:
Applicant’s name, address, and phone number
High School currently attending (or equivalent)
College attending in the fall
3. Essay should be submitted via email, mail, or in person at the library by May 31, 2017.
Mail: PO Box 305, Poestenkill NY 12140
In person during library hours
4. One submission per student.
Posted March 17, 2017
There are wonderful new things for you to access from the library. They are brought to you via the Upper Hudson Library System which serves all 29 public libraries in Albany and Rensselaer Counties.
Flipster gives you instant access to magazines. (The access to magazines through Overdrive ended 12/31/16.) All you need is a library card and the Flipster link. You can use Flipster on your phone, computer, or tablet. There is also a Flipster app for your phone. Most magazines have unlimited simultaneous access so you do not need to get on a list for an issue. For the few magazines that have limits, a loan period will appear when the magazine is downloaded. You can access back issues to June 2014.
Mango Languages gives you access to learn over 70 languages. There are also 17 courses for English Language Learners. Again, you can use this on your phone, computer, or tablet. All you need is your library card and the Mango Languages link. Make a New Year’s resolution to learn a new language or brush up on one you learned in school.
Ancestry.com – Library edition – this can only be used in the library. It is not the full-blown version you can subscribe to online, but it is a way to get you start with a genealogy search. You will be able to print some documents/findings or you can save them to a flash drive but they cannot be saved on the library computers. You should bring a flash drive with you just in case you need it.
Posted March 16, 2017
Amazon is celebrating its #1 ranking in customer satisfaction by the ACSI! Today, March 16, Amazon will donate 5% (10 times the usual donation rate) of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to Poestenkill Library. Get started at smile.amazon.com/ch/16-1536461.
« Newer Posts — Older Posts »