Posted May 8, 2018
There is some sort of an emergency happening in East Poestenkill and the power has been knocked out in the center of the town. National Grid cannot give an estimate of repair time until it the problem is determined.
At this point, the library will be closed for the day. Please check back to see if we are able to open for the evening hours.
Posted May 1, 2018
The Averill Park Central School District’s freshman class is holding a Community Service Day on 5/4. As a service to Poestenkill Library, a few of them will be doing story hour on Friday at 10am. Please bring your preschooler and support this great day of service.
The Friends of Poestenkill Library’s Spring Market Day is Saturday, May 5th from 9am to 1pm. Bake sale, plant sale, and book/CD/DVD sale all in one location. Books are $5.00 per bagful, bring your own bag. Or for $5.00 you can purchase a beautiful, new, purple Friends of the Poestenkill Library bag and fill it for free. Wonderful themed gift baskets will be raffled off and the big drawing for the Dessert of the Month Raffle will be held at 1pm. Tickets for the gift basket raffle are $2.00 each or 3/$5.00. The raffle tickets for the Dessert of the Month are $15.00, which will give you a wonderful freshly-baked dessert each month of the year. All these items make great Mother’s Day gifts!!
Posted April 26, 2018
We are working on finding a new story hour friend, so there will not be a story hour on Friday. But there will be story hour on Friday, May 4. It will be done by 9th grade students as part of a community service day. Please bring your preschooler and support their service.
And don’t forget – this Saturday!!!
April 28th – Earth Day Activities @ the library – 10:30am to 12:00pm. Stories, poster-making, matching game, and more – all celebrating the Earth and our need to take care of it.
Posted April 11, 2018
Several wonderful things will happen at the library in the next few weeks! Mark your calendars so you don’t miss out on the fun!!
1. From now until May 5th – Dessert of the Month Raffle – $15 per ticket – The Friends of Poestenkill Library offer this delicious opportunity! See below for details.
2. From now until May 31st – 7th Annual Leo B Clement Memorial Scholarship – $500 awarded to a Poestenkill high school senior. See below for details.
3. April 28th – Earth Day Activities @ the library – 10:30am to 12:00pm. Stories, poster-making, matching game, and more – all celebrating the Earth and our need to take care of it.
4. May 5th – Friends of Poestenkill Library Spring Market Day. Bake sale, plant sale, book sale! Something for everyone. Join us on the lawn of the library for this very popular event. Saturday, May 5th from 9:00am to 1:00pm. Help is always needed to set up beginning at 7am and to take down at 1pm. We will not have a collectibles table this year.
Dessert of the Month Raffle – drawing will be held at the Spring Market Day on Saturday, May 5th.
Here’s what the winner will receive – all homemade by library Friends, Trustees, & Staff:
May – Derby Pie
June – Strawberry Shortcake
July – Chocolate Cake
August – Peach Pie
September – Pumpkin Cheesecake
October – Fruit Cobbler
November – Apple Pie
December – Assorted Cookies
January – Apple or Pineapple Upside Down Cake
February – Pie (strawberry rhubarb, apple, or pecan)
March – Cheesecake
April – Winner’s Choice (cake, pie, cheesecake, or cookies)
Tickets are on sale now at the library. $15 per ticket. What a great deal! This is a delicious raffle that should not be missed!!!
7th Annual Leo B Clement Memorial Scholarship
The Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees is pleased to offer a $500 scholarship to a graduating high school senior who is a resident of Poestenkill and plans to enter a two- or four- year college program this fall. This is the 7th year this award has been offered.
The Leo B. Clement Memorial Scholarship is funded by a generous gift from Alma Clement in memory of her late husband. Mrs. Clement established this fund specifically for scholarship purposes to a high school senior who loves reading.
1. Be a Poestenkill resident;
2. Be a High School Senior (or equivalent) from a public, private, or home school who will be attending a two- or four- year college for the 2018-19 school year;
3. Write an essay of 500-750 words on the general subject of “The Love of Reading.”
Scholarship award will be chosen by a committee comprised of Mrs. Alma Clement, two Clement family members, the Director of Poestenkill Library, a Library Trustee, and a community member to be chosen by the Board of Trustees. The initial reading of essays will be completed without knowledge of the applicant’s name.
Announcement of Winning Essay:
The essay winner will contacted by June 30, 2018. The scholarship award will be announced on the Poestenkill Library website www.poestenkilllibrary.org and in The Advertiser. The scholarship check for $500 will be awarded at the Poestenkill Library.
1. Essay must be between 500-750 words. Computer-generated is preferred. No specific font or spacing is required. Applicant’s name should not be on essay page.
2. A cover page must also be submitted which includes the following:
Applicant’s name, address, and phone number
High School currently attending (or equivalent)
College attending in the fall
3. Essay should be submitted via email, mail, or in person at the library by May 31, 2018.
Mail: PO Box 305, Poestenkill NY 12140
In person during library hours
4. One submission per student.