The mission of the Poestenkill Library is to provide access to information, the opportunity to discover ideas, and the means to enjoy reading. Patrons can count on the delivery of these services in a knowledgeable and welcoming manner, and staff are entrusted with providing a safe and respectful atmosphere for all patrons. Any behavior that interferes with this mission will not be tolerated.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for determining rules of behavior necessary to protect the rights, safety, and comfort of patrons and staff. Library staff have been entrusted to courteously, but firmly, enforce these rules.
Please help Poestenkill Library provide a safe and welcoming atmosphere for all our patrons by respecting your surroundings and respecting the rights of others.
Rules of Behavior
- Children under eight (8) must be accompanied by a
parent/guardian/authorized caregiver. Responsibility for all children using the library rests with the parent/guardian/authorized caregiver and not with library staff. Police may be notified of unattended children. (Please see separate policy.)
- Conduct prohibited in the library includes but is not limited to:
- Harassment, disruptive threatening behavior, and/or use of abusive or obscene language toward customers or staff.
- Public disturbance.
- Solicitation, selling, or distribution of leaflets within the library or impeding anyone’s progress into or out of the library for such purposes. (See separate)
- Using, possessing, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Smoking within the library or within 100 feet from entrances, including e-cigarettes. (Please see separate)
- Patrons may not bring animals, except those specifically required for service purposes, into the library. Service animals must be attended at all times.
4. Appropriate attire, including shirts and shoes, must be worn at all times.
5. Bicycles should be placed in bicycle racks provided for this purpose. Bicycles may not be left inside the library or in front of the entryways.
6. Cellular phone use must not disturb other patrons. Cell phone conversations should be conducted quietly or outside.
7. Patrons shall not deface, mar, or in any way destroy or damage any materials, furnishings, equipment, or other library property.
Patrons not abiding by these or any other rules and regulations of the library may be asked to leave the library premises. Repeat offenders may be denied library privileges by the Library Board of Trustees on the recommendation of the library director.
Library employees may contact local police if necessary.
Any patron whose privileges have been denied or revoked shall be notified in writing and will have the right to appeal this decision to the Library Board of Trustees.
Adopted by Library Board of Trustees on July 26, 2021