As part of Poestenkill Library Board of Trustee’s mission to meet the information needs of Town residents, the Library offers public access to the Internet. Access to the Internet enables patrons to explore a vast array of information beyond that contained in the Library’ collection.
While the staff can offer guidance to a wide array of useful and interesting Internet sites on the World Wide Web, some sites may contain inaccurate, controversial, and even offensive material. Internet use is not monitored by the library staff. The staff has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be responsible for its content.
Users are asked to remember that they are in a public building and to show consideration for others when viewing Internet sites. Patrons must respect copyright laws and licensing agreements. Violation of any U.S. or state law or regulation including, but not restricted to acts of a threatening, harassing or obscene nature is not permitted.
Parents/ guardians are responsible for monitoring their child’s use of the Internet. Any restriction of a child’s access is the responsibility of the parent/guardian, not the library staff. Persons under the age of 18 must have a signed parental authorization to use the Internet. (use attached form)
Users are required to sign in at the Circulation Desk to use an Internet workstation. Access to the Internet workstation is limited to one ½ hour session per day. A maximum of two users at one workstation at a time is allowed, if necessary. If the computer is shared, all users must abide by the Library’s Internet policy. Users should finish work and log off 5 minutes before the library closes.
Files cannot be downloaded to the library computer’s hard drive. Patrons must save files by downloading to a USB flash drive/memory stick. Hardware and software on the Internet computer may not be altered.
Misuse of the Internet computer by not complying with these procedures and policies will result in the following consequences:
- First Offense: A verbal warning will be given.
- Second Offense: Adult User – lose Internet privileges for two (2) weeks. User under 18 – Director will call parent/guardian to notify of loss of Internet privileges for two (2) weeks. (If the Internet is needed for research purposes for reports or school work, the user must be accompanied at the computer by his/her parent/guardian at all times during this 2 week period.)
- Third Offense: Adult user – permanent loss of Internet privileges. User under 18 – Director will call parent to notify of permanent loss of Internet privileges. (If the Internet is needed for research purposes for reports or school work, the user must be accompanied at the computer by his/her parent at all times.)
Adopted by the Board of Trustees June 25, 2001
Amended December 17,2001
Amended by the Board of Trustees February 23, 2009
Reviewed by the Board of Trustees December 28, 2015
Poestenkill Library Parental Permission for Internet Use
This form is to be completed and signed by a parent/guardian for anyone under the age of 18. The parent/guardian must come into the library to sign this form. A copy will be kept at the Circulation Desk and will be checked before a child may use the Internet.
Date of Birth:
In addition to the Poestenkill Library’s general Internet Policy, I understand the following rules regarding use of the Internet by my child:
- Children under 18 years old may use the Internet for a ½ hour session provided a copy of this form is on file at the Circulation Desk – no exceptions.
- As with any library resource, restriction of a child’s access is the responsibility of the parent/guardian, not the library staff.
- Misuse of the Internet or equipment by not complying with these rules and the Poestenkill Library Internet Policy will result in the loss of privileges.
- A parent/guardian will be contacted if there is a problem with their child’s use of the Internet.
I agree to the rules above.
Please Print Parent/Guardian Name:
Approved by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on March 25, 2002
Amended by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on February 23,2009