A library card is required to borrow and renew material. To apply for a library card, identification with a signature and current address is required. Patrons will be asked to fill out a brief application with their name, address, phone number, date of birth and NYS driver’s license number. Children’s applications (under age 18) must be signed by a parent or guardian.
Online temporary registration: Patrons without a library card, living in Albany or Rensselaer Counties, may register online for a temporary card to access online resources and request materials. There are limited privileges until the patron visits/calls their local public library to receive a permanent card. Online registration accounts are deleted after 30 days.
The Director of the library may exercise his/her judgment to impose restrictions on the amount of materials borrowed or reserved.
Overdue Poestenkill Library items do not generate fines; however, patrons will be charged replacement and processing costs for items which are lost or damaged.
If a patron returns an overdue item belonging to a library other than Poestenkill (even an interlibrary loan item), any incurred fines will need to be paid. Fines may be paid at Poestenkill for other libraries.
Unpaid fines or lost/overdue materials result in a delinquent borrower status. Delinquent borrowers may forfeit their borrowing privileges until items are returned and/or fine charges are paid.
Books and other materials in the circulating collection of Poestenkill Library may be borrowed for the loan period appropriate for that item.
- New fiction & non-fiction books — 14 days
- Holiday books — 14 days
- All other books — 28 days
- Audiobooks (limit of 6 each) — 28 days
- DVD/BluRay (limit of 6) — 7 days for new; 14 days for all others
- Magazines — 14 days
An exterior book drop is available on premises at all times. Material placed in the drop will be cleared the next day the library is open. Please do not put DVDs, BluRays, audios, or CDs in the book drop as they can be damaged when books drop on top of them. There is a reciprocal arrangement among libraries in the Upper Hudson Library System (Albany & Rensselaer Counties) enabling you to return material to the most convenient public library.
- Most library items may be renewed for one additional loan period. To renew items present a library card at the circulation desk and ask for the renewal.
- Items may also be renewed by telephone by supplying the library card number and/or patron name. Items will not be renewed by phone if it, or any other material, is overdue or if there are fines on the account.
- Items may be renewed online through the catalog via the Poestenkill Library web site. Visit www.poestenkilllibrary.org
- Items may not be renewed if they have been reserved by another borrower or if they have exceeded the renewal limit.
- Items from other libraries may be renewed at the Poestenkill Library but are subject to the owning library’s renewal policy.
- Identification, including current address, will be required to register for a new card.
- The signature of a parent or legal guardian is required for children under the age of 18.
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported.
- If a card is lost, stolen or damaged the replacement cost is $1.00.
- Changes in name, address, or telephone number should be reported as soon as possible.
- Patrons are responsible for all items charged to their library card. Cardholders are responsible for replacement cost of materials that become lost or damaged while out on loan.
Items which are not currently on the library shelves may be reserved. This can be done at the library, by phone, or on-line through the catalog via the Poestenkill Library web site.
- Requests for items will be filled in the order in which they were submitted.
- Phone calls will be made to notify patrons when reserved items are available.
- Items will be held on the reserve shelf no more than seven (7) days before the request is considered void.
Items not owned by the Poestenkill Library may be requested from another library via interlibrary loan (ILL). This can be done at the library, by phone, or via the Poestenkill Library website. Borrowing policies of items secured from other libraries may vary from Poestenkill Library. Service is usually free.
Approved by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on March 25, 2002
Amended by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on February 23, 2009
Amended by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on December 28, 2015
Amended by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on May 22, 2017
Amended by Poestenkill Library Board of Trustees on January 25, 2021