Social media is defined as any web-based tool such as a blog, online forum, content-sharing website, or other digital channel established for online interaction and connection.
Poestenkill Library maintains a presence on several social media services. As of the policy approval date we were on: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, & Twitter. The Library reserves the right to moderate the public’s use and access to the Library’s pages on these platforms.
Although comments and posts are welcome on many of the Library’s social media sites, the Library does not intend to create an open forum through its social media presence and postings containing any of the following will be removed:
- Obscene comments or hate speech
- Personal attacks, harassment, or threatening language
- Potentially libelous statements
- Plagiarized or copyrighted material
- Commercial messages or spam
- Comments pertaining to organized political/partisan activities
- Material that is deemed off-topic, inappropriate, or offensive
- Information that, in the Library’s discretion, is private or personal, even if posted by the person to which it pertains
- Postings made through a falsification of identity
- Hyperlinks to material not directly related to the discussion
- Any illegal activity
- Solicitation for donations, memberships, or services requiring a fee for any non-Library purpose
- Photos or other multimedia files that may fall into any of the above categories
Social media administrator(s) will monitor the Library’s social media pages and remove postings which violate this policy. Violators of this policy may also have their user profiles blocked and may lose Library privileges on a temporary or permanent basis.
The Library’s social media administrator(s) responsible for the compliance with this policy are the Board President, library director, and staff designated by the director.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees on January 25, 2021